Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Mehlani: Journey to Success

Like I have mentioned in our first interview, one of my biggest struggles can be comparing myself to other artists especially at a place like Berklee. There are so many talented people here and often the competition to get recognized for that talent can be intense. Because everyone is striving to make it in the same industry, I don't necessarily get acknowledged the same as I did back in high school when I was one of the only people in my town pursuing music professionally. 


One of the new challenges I am facing has a lot to do with my stage presence. The one thing I am confident in is my songwriting. Anyone has the ability to write a song and because it’s your creative expression, no one can tell you what is right/wrong (even though many people may try to). I bring this up because even though I am very strong in my songwriting - especially knowing that I have room to grow in it- I did not have very many opportunities to perform back in my hometown, while many people around me have been doing this their whole lives. Something I am working on is allowing myself to live in the moment while I’m on stage and to remember that it is supposed to be fun! Very easily I tend to stress myself out and again, I compare myself. But reminding myself that everyone is here for the same reason has become way less intimidating and more of a word of encouragement for me.  Nevertheless, I am so excited for the new challenges to come my way cause I know it’s an opportunity for growth!


---


Be sure to stream Mehlani's latest single "Blood Money" wherever you can. To learn more about Mehlani, check out her November 2023 interview with us here at Section 36 Music.


No comments:

Post a Comment