Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Mehlani: Behind the Music

Almost every single one of my songs stems from personal experiences I have had. Most of the times that I have motivation to write is when I am sad or angry about something, but one thing I am trying to expand on as an artist is writing about the beauty in the little things. Especially in the Hurt People EP I have coming out this May, you will notice happier themes as the EP goes on! A lot of people ask me what I usually start with, the lyrics or the melody? And honestly my answer is different every time. For example, there is a song I am working on right now where I just randomly shouted out the lyrics with the melody while I was alone in my room before I moved to Boston. Other times I will beat myself over the head because I can’t think of good lyrics to a melody that I hummed. I will say however, that since my recent projects where I’ve collaborated with Lavend3r, I have found myself starting out a lot more songs with a topline & coming up with lyrics as I go since they tend to hand me a beat instead of my usual method of playing around on the guitar!

---


Be sure to stream Mehlani's latest single "If I Could I Would" wherever you can. To learn more about Mehlani, check out her November 2023 interview with us here at Section 36 Music.


No comments:

Post a Comment