Friday, January 29, 2021

Kathana Visits Section 36!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Kathana is a wonderful singer, and I was so glad she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, her future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Kathana visits Section 36!

I really enjoyed your single “Daisy Lane” What can you tell me about it?

The song was inspired by my sister who struggles with depression. I wanted to capture the thoughts and feelings someone might have when dealing with any mental health issue, starting with struggle in the verses, then dreaming of an alternate world without depression in the chorus. I really wanted it to be a fun song that you can lose yourself in, and to help people zone out or just enjoy some upbeat music if they’re feeling down. 


You were also able to collaborate with Martlin on the recent single “It’s All You”. What was that like to put together?

Martlin sent me the arrangement after I agreed to sing on the track. The arrangement sounded big, adventurous and inspiring, which sparked the idea for the story. It made me think of the challenges that come with pursuing a creative career. But it felt so uplifting that I got a feeling of hope. So I wanted to share the idea with anyone pursuing their passion that it doesn’t matter if we aren’t doing what society expects of us. 


Who/what would you consider to be your biggest musical influences?

Personal experiences and people in general are some of my biggest influences. I’m fascinated by people and their relationships. It’s like a form of art in itself. The stories of people growing, changing, and discovering themselves is inspiring. This also includes romance and even romanticizing life by taking things slow and being mindful and appreciative. The messiness of life is inspiring too. I like to write when I’m feeling anxious, sad, or upset. Writing is a way to work through those feelings. The messy bits really inspire me the most. Walking outside always helps as well. Taking a nature walk before a writing session always helps me open up my imagination and find the energy to create. 


You studied at Berklee College of Music. What's the biggest thing that has done for your career?

Studying at Berklee has given me a lot of great songwriting experience. For my first couple years, I was writing a song every single week. That helped me develop a flow and almost a kind of muscle memory for the songwriting process. This has made it easy to collaborate with other artists, and I feel like I have gotten much better at telling a story and building on it. 


Other than COVID, what would you say is your biggest career challenge?

My biggest challenge is overcoming my own mental health struggles. At times it can be hard to find the motivation to work on music and especially to apply myself and get out there so people hear my music. 


What are your immediate career goals?

My main goal right now is to release more music and start selling merchandise. Getting into a consistent creative routine will be a motivating accomplishment. 


---


Those sound like great goals. I hope she reaches them!


As always, I want to thank Kathana for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I know you’ll all want to follow along with Kathana to see what she's up to. The best way is to follow her online on Instagram, and visit her website. They’re great ways to make sure you don't miss a thing! You're also, obviously, going to want to visit her Spotify page so you can listen to all her music yourself.


You can also visit her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, music samples, and pictures. It's a great way to enjoy everything Kathana has to offer all in one place.


Thanks again Kathana, and good luck reaching your goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment