Monday, March 16, 2020

Annie Crosby Visits Section 36!


Section 36 Music has another visitor! I’ve been waiting a while to be able to talk to Annie Crosby about her music and singing career. I was so excited when we were finally able to make it work. I’m sure you’ll love what she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Annie Crosby visits Section 36!

Your debut EP “Guard Up” will be coming out this summer. What can you tell me about it?
Ha, so, funny thing is I’m not even sure it’ll be called “Guard Up” anymore. I’m a perfectionist and I’m adamant about putting my absolute best work forward when it comes to a record, so it’s taken me a while to get into the studio; and in that time I’ve written so many other songs that are candidates for the EP. I can tell you I have a couple of songs that are brutally honest, a few songs that are playful and fun, and a few that are raw and evoke emotion. So we’ll see what makes the cut! 

When did you know that you wanted music to be a big part of your life?
As a kid I was always singing, and if you’d asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would have told you a performer- but as I aged I started to think I wasn’t good enough and chose safer routes. It wasn’t until a little over a year ago that I bought a guitar and started playing around and got brave enough to get on stage. I posted a few videos on Facebook and then was approached by Matt Ezyk, who has opened up so many doors for me, and he asked if I’d want to start a project with him. ”Old Town” was born and the rest is history! 

Who do you consider your biggest musical influence?
That’s so tough! I was lucky enough to have a family who has a great taste in music so I was raised on good ones- The Beatles, Janis, Joni, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan... and then being around horse farms my whole life I got into country music. I’d have to say Chris Stapleton and Maren Morris are my top 2 current artists though.

You’ve been able to perform live on several occasions. What do you enjoy most about being on stage?
I love it all- and it depends on what stage we’re talking about! When we have full band gigs I love the energy; I turn into another person who I really never thought I’d be. I love implementing new ways to get the crowd engaged and keep them entertained. For acoustic gigs, I love the intimacy; I love being able to play my originals and feel like people are listening... you just connect with people on a different level when it’s that mellow environment. 

Does one appearance stand out for you? Why?
A few do for different reasons. A couple of months into my career I was able to open for a national act, so that was a definite highlight. But it’s random gigs that stick out in my mind- the ones where people have come up to me afterwards and said something heartfelt. Those times are special to me.

Right now, what would you say is your biggest career challenge?
The balance!!! I’m a single mom, a realtor, and an executive assistant in my daytime life. Then as an artist you really have to wear so many different hats- you’re your own booking agent, social media manager, business manager... I find it very hard to keep up with the back-end stuff. I’m best at writing music and being on stage, the rest of it I have to force myself to work at. 

What are your immediate career goals?
Photo by Neil Letendre Photography
To get into the studio and start pumping out singles, get more original shows under my belt, spend more time in Nashville at the writers’ rounds... just to really be heard. I have so much to say through my music and I want to get to the highest platform possible to have that happen.

—-

I hope Annie will be able to reach those goals!

As always, I want to thank Annie for visiting, and for sending along so many perfect pictures to accompany the interview.

Since I know you’ll want to follow along with Annie to see what she's up to, I suggest check out all her online locations: her websiteInstagram, and Facebook.

You should also check out her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and samples of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Annie has to offer.
Thanks again Annie, and good luck in reaching your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment