Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Josephine Glass Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor! 
Josephine Glass is a talented singer fresh off the release of her latest single "Stuck in Your Hell". I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Josephine Glass visits Section 36 Music!

I really enjoyed your recent single, “Stuck in Your Hell”. What can you tell me about it?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you giving it a listen. Like a lot of the songs I write, “Stuck in Your Hell’ was written out of a necessary moment of self-recoursing. I was finally allowing myself to mourn a relationship that had ended earlier that summer and was trying to navigate how the loss of that person was still consciously and subconsciously transpiring in and around my everyday life. I got back to school though and realized that I hadn’t entirely moved on yet because I hadn’t given myself the opportunity to feel anger or any sort of rage. I vividly remember waking up the day I wrote the song on another level of pissed. I went about my day until a friend came over to have a writing session. Two, three hours went by and we had a few lyrics and a basic melody going but I was totally enthralled by this new dweller of anger that I rarely embody as a twenty two year-old woman. I finally looked at my friend and said, “please don’t take this the wrong way, but… can you leave?” After they left I ran back to my room and wrote “Stuck in Your Hell” in fifteen minutes. I sent them the song the moment I finished it and they wrote back, “Is this what you were trying to write for the past couple hours?”. 


With that coming not long after your debut single, “In My Head”, do you see more studio work in the future?

Oh, absolutely.  We are already back in the studio working on an E.P. that I have been prophesying since the beginning of the quarantine. While I have evolved as a singer and as a songwriter since writing these songs, I am really looking forward to paying tribute and giving the limelight to those chronicled versions of myself so that I can properly close this chapter of my life and move forward. 


You recently gave an outstanding Berklee Two Track performance. What was that experience like?

One of my favorite performance opportunities to date. Working with The Berklee Two Track Team was a dream come true and I had such a blast. It was an incredible experience and moment for me because I study Musical Theater at The Conservatory, so, my interactions with the Berklee world is limited due to the intensity and time consuming aspects of my undergrad schedule. But ever since I watched the first Berklee Two Track on Instagram, I knew I had to do it. I am beyond grateful that I was given the chance to show this part of me to a community of artists who I admire and am so deeply in awe of. Everyone at the college is truly exceptional and I cannot wait to see where everyone goes after our time in Boston. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

Oh goodness…. I could certainly go down a laundry list of people who have and continuously inspire me, but, I’d have to say those that loom large are: Florence Welch, Carole King, Lady Gaga, Stevie Nicks, Janis Joplin, Steve Perry and Aretha Franklin. I think the reason I have always felt gravitated towards these artists is because their music not only expresses tenderness but confronts the human condition and the imperfections, love and loss that continue to be the driving forces of all of our lives. I have fortunately had wonderful mentors who often remind me that, like life, music is about the journey, not the destination. Music doesn’t leave you with resolve, it leaves you with a thought…a feeling. 


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

There are two. First, I wanna bring back Rock ‘n’ Roll. And I want to bring back Rock ‘n’ Roll on a multiple of fronts, like Folk Rock, Classic Rock, and Southern Rock. I love the way it makes me feel and appreciate the gift of empowerment it gives me and I really just want everyone to reap those same benefits. Second, I think building a sustainable platform for myself (social media and such) that brings me and my dreams forward momentum is what I will be giving a lot of my undivided attention to post graduation this May. I definitely see it as a challenge worth pursuing though. It doesn’t daunt me.


What are your immediate career goals?

o be completely transparent, I have no idea what the immediate future holds for me. All I know is that music, without a doubt, will surely be involved. I’m in the beginning stages of conceptualizing my first album so I am pretty ecstatic about that. Other than my music though, I’m really looking forward to just being a young person in this world, and giving space and room to dream and construct the life I want for myself, and discover more of who I am. For the first time in my life, I don’t have it all figured out. That really excites me. 


---


This does sound like an exciting time for her!


As always, I want to thank Josephine for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to follow along with her to see what she's up to. I would definitely follow her on Instagram, and/or Spotify. In fact, go do both right now!


Thanks again Josephine, and good luck reaching your goals!



No comments:

Post a Comment