Monday, April 18, 2022

ASHERAH Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! ASHERAH is an incredibly talented singer, coming off the release of her latest EP "Ephemeral". I was absolutely thrilled she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when ASHERAH visits Section 36 Music!

I really enjoyed your recent EP “Ephemeral”. What can you tell me about it? 

Thank you so much- Ephemeral was written for a close childhood friend of mine who passed away from an overdose. He was also my first serious relationship. The process of writing, producing, coming up with the visuals for it, and marketing it took close to 3 years- I think mostly because it was so hard to let go of. Each song on Ephemeral is about a different aspect of the grief process, with the exception of River, the intro track- which was written as a metaphor for addiction.


What was your favorite part of the recording process?

I wrote two of the songs in one of my Ableton classes at school. I was just learning how to use it, so using my Push to create melodies I wouldn’t typically come up with on a piano was really cool. Holy was made entirely with the Push. Writing and layering harmonies is also one of my favorite things to do in general, so it was nice to have a project with complete creative control to create this lush, vocal landscape. 


You’re currently attending Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest way that is helping your career? 

I’ve been at Berklee Online for the last two years and it’s had a tremendous impact on me both as a musician and creative entrepreneur. I knew nothing about marketing music, publishing, or rights before I started studying music business. I’ve become so much more well-rounded as an artist and businessperson because of it. I did Ephemeral’s marketing and PR campaigns entirely on my own because of what I learned at Berklee. I’m moving to campus in Boston in a few months so I’m really excited to meet and collaborate with the incredible musicians there. I love picking other artists’ brains, especially when we make completely different types of music, so it’ll be interesting to see how being on campus impacts my creative process. Berklee is also just notoriously unmatched when it comes to networking- I can’t wait to be among people in person who share my passion. It’s been my dream to go to Berklee since I was 8 years old. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

I’ve always been fanatically obsessed with the cosmos, theidea of parallel universes, reincarnation, quantum entanglement… the movie “Interstellar” was a huge influence for Chasm. My friend Medulasa did an unbelievable job on the sound design. Sonically, I’d have to say my biggest influences have been Lights’ earlier work, especially her Siberia record, Bjork, Purity Ring, Grimes, FKA Twigs, Enya, Adam Young, Kerli, MARINA, Imogen Heap, Evanescence, and producers like Aphex Twin and Telefon Tel Aviv. I also listened to a LOT of Skrillex and his earlier songwriting when I was in middle and early high school. 


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

I genuinely think it’s keeping up with the demand for new “content.” Being a more private person when it comes to my creative process, letting people into my brain before I’m ready has never been within my comfort zone. I like to take my time, sit on things, let them marinate… and then bring them out of the oven when they’re ready. Never before. I see a lot of artists showing their production or songwriting processes on TikTok and that just isn’t me, even though I get it, and I’m sure my marketing professors would prefer it. But who knows! Maybe I’ll change my mind. 


What are your immediate career goals?

I really just want to become as well-rounded a musician as I can, and become as self-sufficient as possible when it comes to marketing and managing myself. I’d love to tour within the next couple of years and definitely put out another single or two before the end of 2022. Maybe meet my future touring band on campus! 


---


Another single or two sounds like a great idea!

As always, I want to thank ASHERAH for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with ASHERAH to see what she's up to. T
he best way to do that is probably to follow her on Instagram and/or Spotify. I suggest doing both right now!

You can also check out her Section 36 Music page. It's a perfect way to enjoy everything ASHERAH has to offer all in one place.


Thanks again ASHERAH, and good luck reaching your goals!


No comments:

Post a Comment