Monday, September 28, 2020

Briana Cash Visits Section 36!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Briana Cash is an incredible singer, and I was excited that she wanted to visit with us and discuss her music, her goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Briana Cash visits Section 36!

I really enjoyed your single “Ancestral Sin”. What can you tell me about it? 
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!  My inspiration for this song was after relocating to Los Angeles. While unpacking, I started to reminisce about recent life experiences, the good and bad that led up to that move:

“I came up with the ‘ooh ooh ooh part’ and I started writing melody and lyrics down in between cleaning and doing stuff.” says Cash (to WIMN) “The song talks about existing in a
relationship gone bad and being in that unfortunate situation. It has dark elements, along with a gospel church vibe, so I thought the name and hook of ‘Ancestral Sin’ (aka ‘Original Sin’) would be a cool fit. The silver lining is having that second chance, because they do come around.” 

It was co-produced by me and Oscar winner Giosuè Greco and features vocals by Malynda Hale. They're both so talented!

You’re a graduate of Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing that opportunity has done for your career?

Graduating from Berklee is a huge and wonderful accomplishment and it's not an easy one. It's helped open doors and has given me job opportunities over the years. I am currently a Berklee Alumni Ambassador and a TA for their Music Business Foundations Course online via Coursera.org  Check it out!


You had the opportunity to attend the Grammy Awards a few years ago. What was that experience like?
It was a cool experience. It's a very long show, bring snacks. :) The Grammy parties are REALLY fun. My music was considered in 8 categories for the 58th Annual Grammy Awards. It would be a dream come true to win a Grammy someday. 

I’m told I have to ask you about your “Lady A story”. Can you share it with us?
Yes, unfortunately Interscope Records has signed an artist using my name. It is not her real name, she continues to use it as her 'stage name' and doesn't want to change it. Cease and desist letters have been sent to Interscope Records and the management team of their artist.

Briana Cash is my birth name, it is also my brand and trademark. I have been performing and working as a musician for over 20 years in the industry as Briana Cash. I am not going to change or give up my legal name. I have nothing against this artist, but she could go by her birth name or any other of her choosing and stop using mine. 

We can't coexist with the same name. It has caused consumer
confusion at the very least. I want to make people aware in the effort to prevent this from happening to other indie artists. It's a very similar situation to Lady A's, in the sense that a big machine in my case, "Interscope" takes my name. It will cost me thousands to preserve and keep what is already mine. I feel they do this because they think they can.

They didn't even ask my permission to use it, they just did. And even if they say they didn't know, I have reason to believe that they did know, but I won't get into that right now. They have known for a while now however, Interscope still continues to allow their exclusive recording artist to use my name without offering any resolution or remedy to this ongoing problem.


Other than COVID, what would you say is your biggest career challenge?
COVID has definitely been a struggle. I had to cancel shows scheduled in Italy in April and Boston in July. Instead, I did some shows online but the cool thing was thousands of people watched the stream globally on Facebook. Now musicians can no longer do live streams on Facebook so we have to find other platforms. Right now my biggest career challenge is trying to stop Interscope from taking my name. 

What are your immediate career goals?
To release more music and collaborate with artists and songwriters. I also enjoy writing and pitching for sync and working as a freelance music supervisor. I love doing anything creative, while learning and understanding the business side of things. There is always that 'learning in process'. I'm a mix of both right and left brain. I love writing in different genres and creating. I also love discovering new music and talent. In my opinion, if a song is good, it doesn't matter what style it is. 

—-

I’m sure we can help her reach those goals!

As always, I want to thank Briana for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with Briana to see what she's up to. The best way is to follow her online on Instagram, TwitterFacebook, or YouTube. You should also be sure to visit her website and listen to her music on Spotify as often as you can. It’s the perfect way to make sure you don't miss a thing.

You can also visit her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and samples of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Briana has to offer all in one place.

Thanks again Briana, and good luck in reaching your goals! 

3 comments:

  1. Ancestral Sin is my favorite song - the words speak to me and the beat is awesome! Way to go Briana Cash - the one and only!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! Agreed, Ancestral Sin is a wonderful song.

      Delete
  2. Awesome, I'm glad you dig it. Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete